A Few Ideas to Run By You All

Re: A Few Ideas to Run By You All

Postby Wahn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:28 am

Let`s enable that walk-in after the player has helped the shepherds, establishing some good guy cred. As he then next navs to the farm there can be the teen couple seen in the distance, sad-looking and walking away quickly. Then the mewing basket and the look/dont look choice before Corbin takes it and goes to the farm house with the comment "Anthony needs to see this", leaving the player standing at the gate.

A first real meeting can then be set two days later with a counter, in which Anthony then explains that Selena grows in sudden leaps - allowing to switch over to a "grow after event" progression. (Otherwise there is a risk of the player missing everything if he is out for a long time.
Wahn

Postby enigmaMystere » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:57 am

That's a brilliant idea! I have just the cute little thing she could do if the player does open the basket. :3 We could show her change in age at the start of each interaction with the player (by which I mean that she ages after each play date/date/walk-in. Now my next issue would be finding a program I could test out the code in... wonder if Visual Studio could help with that...

Another idea for her, in child form - walking in on Corbin milking with the player there and asking if she can have some of his milk, not knowing the implications of her request.

We could also have her walking in on the shepherds as they're fooling around, and have her being confused. She could then say "What's that game they're playing?"
enigmaMystere

Postby Wahn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:18 am

Oh, testing is best done in Inform 7 itself - the compiler has debugging routines that will point you more or less straight at the line in which things go awry.

Get it here: http://inform7.com/

Then follow the quick setup another new writer has thankfully provided (our old tutorials went up in flame with the last forum):

elven wrote:To be able to open up project in Inform 7 you need to:
1) Start Inform 7 and create some project. Then exit programm.
2) In code that was downloaded from github find Inform\story.ni. Copy it into C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Inform 7\NAME_OF_YOUR_PROJECT\Source* Replace the one that is already there.
3) Put all folders of downloaded code except Inform into C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Inform\Extensions*
4) Run Inform and open project that you created in the first step.

* This path is for Windows7

To add your own code
1)In Inform press File\New Extension
2) Do some coding and save afterwards
3) In Inform press File\Install Extension, and find the file you created in 1 and 2 step

And generally, just post your files here in the thread (packaged in a rar) and I'll have a look at them.
Wahn

Postby enigmaMystere » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:43 am

Thanks for the help with that! ^^ I just need to figure out the stages of growth, how to implement both that and the wild/tame variable and how that affects choices and difficulty convincing her to do things.

I also have to wonder if finding her as a canine would affect anything, as opposed to being feline or another body type...
enigmaMystere

Postby Wahn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:09 am

Here, I made a start for you:

Code: Select all
Version 1 of Selena by enigmaMystere starts here.
[Version 0.1 - Template]

instead of navigating McDermott Farm Entrance while (hp of Anthony > 4 and hp of Selena is 0): [player helped the shepherds, Selena never met]
   move player to McDermott Farm Entrance;
   if debugactive is 1:
      say "     DEBUG -> SELENA DELIVERY WALKIN, HP OF ANTHONY [hp of Anthony], HP OF SELENA: [hp of Selena] <- DEBUG[line break]";
   say "     As you make your way to the McDermott Farm again, <...> Your arrival has drawn the attention of Corbin, who starts walking towards the farm's gate, a curious look on his face as he sees the basket at your feet.";
   say "     [line break]";
   say "     Do you want to have a look in the basket?";
   if player consents:
      say "     Pulling back the blanket, you see <...>";
   otherwise:
      say "     Well, it's not like this is your doorstep... you've got enough problems on your own. Taking a step back from the basket and its silently mewing passenger, you wait for Corbin to come along and tell him what you saw earlier. He immediately bends down and looks at it, drawing the little blanket aside. Then he murmurs, 'Anthony has to see this,' and picks the basket up before quickly walking towards the farmhouse. You're left standing alone at the gate.";
   now hp of Selena is 1; [delivered]
   now SelenaDelivery is turns; [the turn-count of her delivery saved for counting her 2 day growth spurt time]

instead of going east from Central Farm Square while (hp of Selena > 0 and daytimer is night and thirst of Corbin is 2 and hp of Corbin > 1): [it's night, Corbin is in there, player already knows about him]
   if debugactive is 1:
      say "     DEBUG -> SELENA + CORBIN MILKING WALKIN, HP OF CORBIN [hp of Corbin], HP OF SELENA: [hp of Selena] <- DEBUG[line break]";
   say "     As you walk into the milking shed, you hear the generator running and the chugging sounds of the milker doing its work - Corbin must be relieving himself of some pressure again. Deciding to surprise the cowboy a little, you walk on with care to make as little noise as you can and soon see the low glow of Corbin's lantern from one of the very last stalls in the back. But that's not the only thing you see - there is a flick of a striped, feline tail in front of the light and then a head with large pointy ears pokes into view to look around the divider and into Corbin's stall. Seems like Selena <...>";
   say "     <...>";
   say "     [WaitLineBreak]";  [regularly put these in, so the text comes in readable chunks and not as a wall of text - I'd recommend every two moderately long paragraphs]
   say "     <...>";

instead of going west from Central Farm Square while (hp of Selena > 0 and daytimer is day and Wendy is in McDermott Barn):
   if debugactive is 1:
      say "     DEBUG -> SELENA BARN WALKIN, HP OF SELENA: [hp of Selena] <- DEBUG[line break]";
   asy "     <...>";

Selena ends here.

While I was doing that, I remembered that there might be another kid at the farm too - the player can impregnate Corbin (or allow the farm workers to do so), which results in a horseman teen boy in the Barracks. Haven't developed him in any way yet, he might fit in as a playmate for Selena.
Wahn

Postby enigmaMystere » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:20 am

A playmate and possibly a secondary love interest/rival for the player. Might be the colt who tries to mount her that the player walks in on... or maybe he is the one she gets into trouble with, as just a friend. It all depends on how tame or wild she is when that walk-in happens.

Also, thanks for the start! ^w^
enigmaMystere

Postby enigmaMystere » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:49 am

I'm having trouble understanding this, but it won't install my extension in the project. I can't understand why. :( What should I do?
enigmaMystere

Postby Blue Bishop » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:54 am

enigmaMystere wrote:I'm having trouble understanding this, but it won't install my extension in the project. I can't understand why. :( What should I do?

You need to add the following to the story.ni file to ensure the compile picks it up along with the rest:

Code: Select all
Include X by Y.

X = The File name and Y = the creator/folder name. There is some importance in where it's placed, so search in the file for all the other "Include"s.
Blue Bishop

Postby enigmaMystere » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:37 am

Thank you for the help with that! ^^ There's one thing I'm still unsure of, though... when Anthony tells the player about Selena, would that be in the Farm file with Anthony, or Selena's file?
enigmaMystere

Postby Xenophiliac » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:54 am

Thank you for the help with that! ^^ There's one thing I'm still unsure of, though... when Anthony tells the player about Selena, would that be in the Farm file with Anthony, or Selena's file?

I'm relatively new at this, but if I had to hazard a guess, it'd probably be in Selena's own file. That's what i'd figure, anyhow.
Man ideas are weird.
Xenophiliac

PreviousNext

Return to Dev Chat