size of library

Re: size of library

Postby TigerStripes » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:07 pm

soul4hdwn wrote:final question about the library itself before i make a thread posting mostly text only rough draft of my project.

how lit up is the library itself and in general? the attic is very dark and there's a monastery stained glass large window on the top + front/side.

then off-topic-ly, how large is "size 4"? i think i'm skipping creatures or something as i can't find anything. i'm pretty sure one can fit into a described side room as i'm mentally scaling for something between 3 ft taller or a taur body structure to a max of twice human height.

I forget if I made any specific mention of the windows/lighting in game content. That's something I generally fudge over all a lot, since the player is active at all hours and day/night is generally not taken into account during the scenes. I'd say it's passably lit from windows but normally relies on a lot of electrical light (installed in or above the old scones and hanging from the rafters) rather than windows because it's an older building. There might be some hidden details tucked away into the event Sarokcat made about an intruder into the library, though I don't quite recall where to find that now.

Blue Bishop wrote:Infection source doesn't strictly adhere to this rule. This is blatant in monsters like the Sierrasaur or Yamato, but is much more subtle/debatable with other creatures. This also entails standing height, and not body length; a quad would be taller if on its hind legs, but this isn't taken into account.

The 'scale entry' of a creature denotes the scale of the player with that infection in cases where it conflicts with the size of the creature itself. Also, those values have a fair amount of fudge-factor when dealing with taurs, super-overweight or super-muscly infection forms, the scale entry getting bumped up one in those cases (still to a max of 5). Height is just the typical thing to check against, but it is not the only factor in figuring the value.
TigerStripes

Postby soul4hdwn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:02 am

TigerStripes wrote:I forget if I made any specific mention of the windows/lighting in game content. That's something I generally fudge over all a lot, since the player is active at all hours and day/night is generally not taken into account during the scenes. I'd say it's passably lit from windows but normally relies on a lot of electrical light (installed in or above the old scones and hanging from the rafters) rather than windows because it's an older building. There might be some hidden details tucked away into the event Sarokcat made about an intruder into the library, though I don't quite recall where to find that now.

oh boy inconsistencies from get go is silly/fun. as i was continuing more writing, i realized "hey there's a quest about giving power to computer (and two npcs' home) so how would lights work in the rest of the city to begin with?" so i suppose the city either has multiple power sources or only has enough for lights (a countless number at that even). which gives me a slight Schrödinger's cat, situation for me. i'll have to assume there are lights as things will be weird without.
relatedly i can avoid Icarus conflict/interaction as i no longer need the rafters for flavor text.

as for finding sarokcat's event, did s/he use git to submit the addition? if so, it should be easier to go through that person's history on git instead of checking every file. granted i only say this as i don't know where to begin looking.

as for size funniness, i assumed correctly to my relief; but in less numeric sense:
size 1 is half human size or less
size 2 is half sized to a very short human
size 3 human sizes
size 4 very tall human up to size and a half of a human
size 5 everything above previous
i'm glad its more straightforward and relative than i thought, i was almost afraid of odd specificness. not sure if there's that many size 4 creatures/infections out there but my npc i'll be attempting to add will have sizes 3, 4, and 5 depending on state. i'll have to get that on the forums eventually soonish before life distracts me again with poor motivation...
soul4hdwn

Postby Darthan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:11 am

TigerStripes wrote:I forget if I made any specific mention of the windows/lighting in game content. That's something I generally fudge over all a lot, since the player is active at all hours and day/night is generally not taken into account during the scenes. I'd say it's passably lit from windows but normally relies on a lot of electrical light (installed in or above the old scones and hanging from the rafters) rather than windows because it's an older building. There might be some hidden details tucked away into the event Sarokcat made about an intruder into the library, though I don't quite recall where to find that now.

I had always assumed that the library, and the rest of the city as well, used natural lighting during the day and fires/torches for light at night. Restoring the power changes this as it is noted in the event that you see lights start to come on in the city so I always thought that electrical lights started to be used after the power was restored.
Darthan

Postby TigerStripes » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:56 pm

soul4hdwn wrote:<lighting/event/scale>

Yeah, the quest to restore power is a little wonky in its effects. The way I picture it, there is considerable damage to the power grid itself as well as the power plant. This is shown in the player having to do repairs on one of the towers leading to the abbey. Lots of substations and transformers have been damaged, so power distribution within the city is limited to certain spots, even once the power plant is partially reactivated. I've always assumed there's sufficient lighting in some form or another unless specified. If the player's exploring around at night, they've likely got a flashlight and the NPCs at the library/bunker have set up a couple of lanterns for light at night.

Using the rafters isn't really a problem, it's only the use of the attic in particularly which would be an issue.

I found the event. It's called 'Library Visitor' and is in the 'New Events.i7x' file in Sarokcat's folder. It's a little weird, since it assumes you're at the Library for what's ostensibly an 'Outside' event and could occur at any 'Outside' accessible point. It's also a little briefer than I'd originally thought. It was written a long time ago (almost three years now), before the place was redesigned and the second floor was added, so expect some discrepancies.

Looking over your descriptions, I recall now that was roughly the guideline I was using. There's a mix of infection sizes out there, though the bulk of them are human-scale. A lot of the taurs are scale 4, as they're roughly human height, but with the added taur body to bulk them up. As well, taking a quick look through my folder, all of these are scalevalue 4 infections as well: the Giraffe, Jaguar, Killer Whale, Komodo Dragon, Mammoth, Margay (due to girth), Piggy (Philip's infection, again fat), Red Oni, Rhino, Skunkbeast Lord, Wolverine Guard... There'll be others scattered among the other critters in the game as well. Stuff that's at the extreme end, size 1 and size 5, that are the rarest, with the tiny forms being the most uncommon.
TigerStripes

Postby soul4hdwn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:51 pm

i read the library visitor scene, it is slightly dated and short. i wonder when exactly it was made because it seems to imply no one else is in the library/bunker.
i also read relevant parts of Icarus as well, i'm still certain if i use the risers that i'd have to address/include his presence. i should be fine without doing so, unless there happens to be a large stained glass up there next to it, then i definitely won't need to note him.

about sizes, one part of my npc in the works would be counted as the limit for size 4 because competition with komodo dragon (height plus width) and skunkbeast (small elephant?), or the smallest size 5 (i should double check Sierrasaur i remember it being vague). then there's another part that outright is size 5 npc.
soul4hdwn

Postby TigerStripes » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:10 pm

soul4hdwn wrote:about sizes, one part of my npc in the works would be counted as the limit for size 4 because competition with komodo dragon (height plus width) and skunkbeast (small elephant?), or the smallest size 5 (i should double check Sierrasaur i remember it being vague). then there's another part that outright is size 5 npc.

Well, in the case of the Skunkbeast, the infected player is scale 4. The Skunkbeast Lord fought during the event is well into scale 5. The victorious player absorbs some of his mass, but not all of it and so is only somewhat bigger than the normal skunkbeasts. It is because of cases like this that I specifically mentioned that the player size takes precedence when setting the scale entry value for a creature infection.
TigerStripes

Previous

Return to Dev Chat